Sermon notes for Sunday June 10, 2018
The Spirit of Adoption
“For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.”
• Spirit: The rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides.
• We are in bondage to our fears… Our loneliness… Our past…
• We want to be a part of something… In Christ we have not received this spirit of bondage…
• Spirit: The third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son…
- sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his personality and character (the “Holy” Spirit)
- sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his work and power (the Spirit of “Truth”)
- never referred to as a depersonalised force
Adoption: The nature and condition of the true disciples in Christ, who by receiving the Spirit of God into their souls become sons of God…
• An adoption takes place by being chosen!!… We are chosen by God!!
“And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:”
Invitation: Have you been adopted?